Monday, January 6, 2014

Brrrr....

It's cold here in southeast Texas!  Like in the 20's cold!  But what is really a hoot is that in two days, it is supposed to be in the 70's again.  Nothing like Texas weather.  LOL  I hope you are able to stay warm and safe where you live.  From what I've been seeing on the news, it's a nightmare in so many places.  When it's this cold, I'm staying in.....in my sweats....with lots of coffee...some old movies and some stitching.  :)

I've been in an organizing mood as are so many others this time of year.  I love to organize things, especially my stash. My husband calls me the "rubbermaid queen", although most of my tubs aren't even rubbermaid.  LOL  I bought more this week, and I LOVE LOVE these! (all pictures are clickable for a closer view)


These are by Sterlite.  I love the ones with the little blue handle.  They are flatter and are perfect for my blocks of the month and my wool fabrics. The ones in the middle have a flip top lid, and I bought them to sort my fabric scraps by color.


This is my favorite toy.  I label everything if it's standing still. LOL  I LOVE my Brother P-touch.

 

Here are a few ways that I organize my sewing room.  The top shelf is my BOM's in the new Sterlite tubs.  My fabrics are folded on comic book boards if they are a yard or more.


More fabric on comic book boards.  I LOVE this way of storing my fabrics.  I'm able to see what I have at a glance.
  

This is a bookcase with a few of my fat quarters.  These are mainly the "sets".  Other random fat quarters are stored in the cabinets.


I have three of these thread holders.  This one is my sewing/quilting thread.  It hangs on my wall.


These two are standing on the table behind my embroidery machine.  This is part of my embroidery thread.  The rest of it is stored in drawers in plastic containers.


I LOVE these stacking drawer containers.  I have quite a few different things stored in these.  They are the perfect size for kitted up projects.  I have several quilts with the fabric that is cut, the pattern and the backing all ready to go.  I also have some kitted up cross stitch projects stored in some.  Two of them hold my zippers, organized by size, and several hold my rickrack and ribbon.


These boxes contain my sewing and quilting patterns that are not in books.  Each box is organized by subject (purses, adult clothing, etc).  


This is a small peg board that I use to hold some of my specialty rulers and quilting stencils.  My hubby has built me a larger one that I will be replacing this one with.  I need more room!  :)


For my cross stitch friends, this is how I have my DMC threads organized.  Each thread has a bag that is labeled and they are filed in numerical order.  I will show my specialty threads in a later post. 


In the same cabinet that holds the DMC boxes, I store my cross stitch linens.  Each pile is a particular count and there is a label to let me know what goes where.  


My cross stitch charts are filed in a four drawer filing cabinet.  I have them separated several different ways.  The top two drawers contain my favorite, most used designers and my samplers. The rest are stored in alphabetical order, some by designer if I have a lot of a particular one, and others by subject.  I have several folders of samplers, reproduction samplers and Christmas, as these are my favorites.  :)  Another drawer contains all of my Prairie Schooler and other designers that I have a lot of. All four drawers are FULL.  


This was my kitchen island at one time, but it's now in my sewing room.  My TV sits on top and the three drawers are FULL.  These bottom two drawers contain kitted up samplers and other cross stitch kits.  These drawers don't contain any of my Shepherd Bush kits.  Those are in a three drawer rolling cabinet.  I kinda have a lot of those.  :)  I think the hanging handle makes a "statement", don't you?  ;)  This is on the "to be painted and knobs replaced" list.


The last thing I will show you on this post is a bunch of things I've pulled to sell in my cross stitch sale group on Facebook.  There is so much more that I need to purge, but this is a good start.  


Once I get more of my sewing room organized, I will show more pictures of how it's done.  It's taking a while, but will be so nice once it's finished.  Then I can start sewing on some of the projects I have in mind.

I'm doing a SAL with some Facebook friends and this is what we chose as our New Year's start.


It's called "Snooty Parrots Sampler" and it's by Barbara Ana Designs.  I'm stitching it on 32 count vintage country mocha using the GAST threads.  It's such a fun project!
This is how far I got on New Year's Day.  Not very far, but enjoyable just the same.  :)


Speaking of stitching, it's time for me to settle under my quilt, get a cup of coffee and put in a few "x's".  Sooooo........what are YOU working on?  I'd love to know.  :)

Have a great week.  I'll be back soon with some more organizing photos.

See you then,
Carolyn













32 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, that is some stash and so well organized. Enjoy it all!

Rita said...

Wow! You're keeping very busy.

Great organization!!

Barb said...

I love your organization!!
And I thought I had lots of stash!

Wanda said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love the way you have everything stored and labelled! Beautiful :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Love how your fabrics are stored! Everything looks wonderful! You've got a lot of cross stitch linen - I'm jealous!

Jackie said...

I think we all want to come and spend some time in your sewing room! I know I would!

Like you, I feel organization is essential. I just haven't gotten to the same level you're operating on (yet)!

ladyjane22 said...

Wow, Carolyn you are so organized...I think you should come to SC and give me a hand.

Robin said...

Carolyn, I always enjoy seeing the pictures you share of your organizational systems.

Stay warm and Happy New Year!

Robin in Virginia

Helen Wong said...

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness to your publish is just great and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to seize your RSS feed to k
Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

Kim said...

Holy Wow! I've seen smaller LNS's. C an I go shopping in your craft room? :-P

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

You are so very well organized...I love how you are so organized.

I am starting to store my DMC Threads and my GAST in the little floss bags myself.

I am stitching on two projects right now and they are:

Fish City by Stoney Creek
RMC - Rocky Mountain Christmas by Marty Bell.

We are having a -14F Degree weather today and with the wind chill factor it is a -36F Degrees. It is really cold outside and the whole state of Indiana is under a State Of Emergency for the last two days.

I have been staying in and my furnace has been going non stop for the last two days.

It is really bad here in the State of Indiana right now.

I love reading your posts and seeing all of your photos.

You are making great progress on your WIP...please keep posting your WIP Progress. This is going to be so pretty.

Happy Stitching....
Happy Organizing....
Linda K, Railroad

quiltingmieke said...

Hello, what a joy to see al your things so nicely ...
you have almost a shop on your self

big hug mieke

Melissa said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with your organization skills (and the amount of your stash)!

Have fun with your SAL. It looks like a very fun piece to stitch.

Love to Stitch said...

I LOVE your organizing!!!! You are doing an amazing job!! I cant wait to get to mine. Now that I have been quilting, I need all the ideas I can get-- you have some great ones. I cant wait to see more, and when its all done, perhaps a few pics of 'full' room views!!!! Keep it up :)

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I'm catching up on blogs today. It's been a LONG time since I could. I love your blog and all your organization. Man, your stitching stash is like a store!!!! You are so gifted with organizational skills.

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest designs

Fiona Egan said...

Wow, your quilting space is impressive! Like others who posted before me, it looks like we could go shopping in your sewing room :)

I have a question for about comic book boards. I love the way you stored your fabric. What are comic book boards and how do I find them? Thank you for being such an inspiration!

cozy kitten quilts said...

OHMYGOSH!!! I love the way you have everything arranged. I, too, love the little plastic boxes with lids. I think I have way too much stash to ever organize the way you do. But I'm striving for it just the same. I live in Texas also. Maybe you would like to come organize MY stash!! hahah!!
Kay in Tyler, Texas

Linda Smith said...

Carolyn WOW - what can I say - your organizing skills are fabulous! Could you take a photo of your craft room from the door? Kind of give us the overall feel for the room? Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!

Linda in Colorado

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It looks so nice!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I swear we could be sisters - I organize in very much the same way except for the comic book boards. I love those Sterlite bins and have several and use my labeler fanatically. :) I used to cross stitch years ago and haven't done it in forever but was thinking of looking for a fairly simple pattern I could do while we're at the mission. We'll be there for six weeks and will leave here in two weeks - do you have one you might recommend for me? And how do I find your Facebook page? blessings, marlene

Catherine said...

Wow! You can come help me organize anytime!!
Love your new stitchy start!

Dawn said...

LOVE your storage system. It all looks so neat and pretty. I use plastic boxes too, but mine are all over the place, lol.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow! I need you to come help me organize my stash.

Amy said...

I love the way you fold your fabric on the comic boards. It looks so nice!

Mdm Samm said...

YOu make loads of $ if you serviced quilters in your organizational skills…think about it ….you have talent

Chris said...

Omgosh what a lot of stash and beautifully organised. How did you do that fabric on boards? It looked so neat I'd like to do that with my fabric.. and I love, love all your stitching, it is beautiful
Chris x

Connie said...

I am amazed at the neatest of your studio . . . and would be a bit embarrassed for you to see mine, especially at the moment. When I'm sewing or quilting on a project it is usually in a state of messiness. It does get cleaned and tidied up in-between projects. You are an inspiration.
I'm your newest blogging sister and follower #843
Connie :)

Deonn said...

Your organization is so inspiring! And so beautiful! I picked up some of those comic book cards - but haven't done a thing with them! You've inspired me to make the effort!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Carolyn I'm not sure when I've seen anyone quite so organized - I love it! I use a lot of those sterlite containers too but I'm having a hard time finding the ones with the blue handles now. I looked at your facebook page but didn't find anything for sale so I guess I didn't know where to look or you've already sold it. blessings, marlene

Helen Wong said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love the way you have everything stored and labelled! Beautiful :Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

Barb said...

I so need you to come and organize my space....I live in Texas but that isn't saying much, it takes a lot to travel across Texas...

Bronny said...

Now I have STASH envy, even the time it takes to put everything in it's place.... My craft room was clean and organised 2 years ago, now it looks like fabric shop exploded inside it.

Gives me something to inspire to..