Sunday, February 5, 2012

Where I Create - Sewing Studio Remodel

Hi friends!

Happy Monday to you!  I hope your week is starting out well.  We are FINALLY getting some cool weather here in Texas.  Friday it was in the 80's.  Today it's in the 50's.  I'm loving this! 

I've been working like a busy bee these last few weeks after having my sewing studio/pig sty/cave/asylum painted.  I posted several weeks earlier about trying to decide the paint color.  I finally decided on a light pale aqua, and I LOVE the way it turned out!  I did love the barn red that it was before, but I was ready for a change.  Want to see a few pictures?  I have some to share with you, although I'm not totally finished organizing everything.  I also haven't made my new curtains yet.  I have the fabric for them and hope to get to that this week.  (All pictures are clickable.)

I still need to work on this shelf.  I have several things to try out on there, but haven't made up my mind yet. 


The file cabinet holds all of my counted cross stitch leaflets.  The drawers are so full I can barely close them.  Pitiful!  The shelf thingee holds my jelly rolls, a few fat quarter bundles, and my charm packs.  See my little ladybug teapot on the top?  I LOVE IT!  The jar is filled with lavendar. 

The drawers next to that are my scraps that are divided by sizes.  This is not all of them ..... just a very few.  I have four of those HUGE tubs full that I haven't even cut yet.  I can't throw anything away.  (Hoarder much?  LOL)  The little cabinet with the ivy on it holds my Shepherd's Bush cross stitch kits.  I WILL stitch them all in my lifetime.  Oh yes I will!  ;o)


This is another picture of my jelly roll cabinet and shows a few of my mini quilts.


Here is a close up of my organized scraps.  It sure helps having them cut and ready to go.  I definitely need to be spending some time playing in my large scrap bins this week.  Lots of cutting to do and lots of scrap quilts in my mind.  I keep telling myself if I'll just spend about 30 minutes a day cutting, that in no time I'll have them done.  I've been working on it.  I promise I have!


 I just love all the colors.  I hate using these up.  LOL  (I know, I'm weird!)


Here is where I sit to do my sewing.  On the left is my Bernina 1530.  I love this machine.  I've had it for about 17 years and it still stitches like a dream.  Next to that is my little ironing set up.  I like having it there so I don't have to get up to press each seam open.  Yes, I'm lazy.  LOL  My serger is in the back where I can just pull it up to the front if I need to use it.


This is a view from the other side of the room so you can see where I sew.  This isn't a very good picture, but hopefully you can get the idea.  On the right is my Bernina 200E  sewing/embroidery machine.  I also have a Viking (sitting on the table behind the Bernina on the left), but I'm really a Bernina girl.  :0)  My sewing threads are on spools on the wall.  I love all the colors. 


These are just a few of my favorite things.  There are a couple of boxes with stitched tops that dear friends have given me.  On the right is my grandmother's antique sewing basket with all of her original things in it.  I'm such a sentimental old fool.  I can't throw anything like that away.  The first shelf holds my Go!Baby and dies and the baskets hold my BOM's that are waiting patiently to be sewn. *sigh* The next shelf has my sewing basket, a tub with blocks ready to be sewn into something special, and the shoe box containers hold scraps that have been cut into squares.  The bottom shelf holds a container with my finished cross stitch projects that are waiting to either be framed or finish-finished.

I've opened the top drawer so you can see the threads.  I designed my cutting table and my wonderful hubby built if for me.  The top five drawers are designed to hold my Isacord embroidery threads.  They are in boxes in numerical order.  The drawers are just deep enough to hold these.  The bottom drawer holds some of my stabilizers and miscellaneous pellon and interfacings.  The shelves on the right have my notebooks with some of the projects that I've printed off the internet.  Also on those shelves are my quilting magazines organized by particular title and in date order.  There are a BAZILLION little sticky thingees coming out of the top of those magazines.  I have so many things I want to make!

On top you can see some of my projects that I'm working on.  The table is wide enough to hold two of the 36" wide cutting mats with room to spare.  I do love my cutting table.


To the left of the drawers is another rolling cart with drawers. I have some projects in there that are ready to be cut, along with the book or pattern.  On the floor I have one of those soft mats to help keep my legs and back from hurting when standing for a long time.  I can't believe the difference it makes!


Okay, this part is still a mess, but I wanted you to see the other side of the cutting table and how it's designed.  The shelves on both sides are removeable and adjustable in case I want to put plastic tubs, etc.  The black and white boxes contain patterns.  More patterns are in the red magazine keeper on the top and also in the red container.  I have a ton of patterns, but I love them!  I forgot to take a picture of my books.  I'll have to do that for next time.  In the background you can see part of my wall of fabric and my TV.

I use the comic book boards to wrap my fabrics around and I LOVE it.  This way I can see what I have at a glance.  I only use the boards for a yard and up.  Anything else is folded and put either in my wall cabinets or with my fat quarters.  I love this way of organizing.

This is another picture of part of my fabric.  On the top of the bookcases are my storage boxes.  I use these for my over-dyed floss, my gingher collection, lace, notions, etc.  I love my toile boxes. 

And a couple more views.... The top shelf in the middle has some of my fat quarter bundles.  You can't really tell, but they are stacked three deep on the shelf.  Yes, I love pre-cuts!  What can I say! 




These stacking drawers are where I keep the projects that are already cut and ready to go.  They include everything that is needed to finish the project including the pattern.  SO nice to be able to grab and get after it.  :0)

This is a picture of part of the floor to ceiling cabinets that my hubby built for me.  Each cabinet is full of fabric and is divided by theme, color, flannel, etc.  Also my quilting books take up two shelves in one of the cabinets. 



I hope this gives you a little bit of an idea of where I create.  I've seen SO many gorgeous sewing studios out there.  Mine is not beautiful but it's functional and works for me.  I'm so fortunate that I have a place that I can spread out and call my own.  It sure looks different than it did when it was a game room.  :0)

Well I've rambled long enough.  I hope you've enjoyed your visit into my little sewing nook.  Come back anytime!  The coffee is always on and there is a sewing machine waiting for you.  I can only use one at a time.  :0)

Thanks for stopping by!

Hugs,



45 comments:

Vicky said...

I love it!!!!

danih03 said...

Ummmm, yes it is BEAUTIFUL! It looks like a mini fabric shop!! You should see mine. I have a sewing/laundry room. I have to move things around just to baste. What are you trying to do? Make us all jealous?LOL This is truly a great room.

danih03 said...

Oh, one more thing. Since I moved my stuff in to the laundry room instead of dragging my machine to the kitchen table, It's forcing me to keep up on the laundry :S

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

You are so organized, I'm moving my sewing room and can't wait for it to be organzied. You and your husband did a beautiful job.

Nicola said...

WOW - you are so lucky.

Val said...

What a great space. I love the paint colour - cool and easy on the eyes.

quilterbell said...

Amazing, and so well organized!

Denise said...

I think you have more fabric than my local Jo-Ann's! Better close my mouth before I gather flies - this is wonderful!

Chris said...

Wow! What an amazing work space :)

Christine said...

Beautiful! You have a quilt shop in your house! When do you open for business? Lol! It is amazing!

Louise said...

WOW! So awesome my friend :) Love it all...I am going to have to ask you many questions..I may have a room to decorate in the near future...want to know where you got your cutting table from!
Love ya!
Louise xx

Cindy said...

Wow. I would say more....but wow!

Cindy said...

Wow. I would say more....but wow!

Katrina said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous craft room!!!! I love it :-).

Jen said...

Such a beautiful room to create in! Very lovely and the colors are wonferful. Thanks for sharing ;)

Nancy D. said...

Awesome space to create! I wish I was that organized.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

I L O V E it. I love the color, the organization, all the pretty accessories, all of it! What a great job you did. It really looks like a professionally designed studio. Congratulations!

Michelle said...

Oh my I love it - I love it. I would never want to leave that room at all - just beautiful xx

JackieG said...

What can I say,,,WOW Carolyn. You are so neat and organized in your sewing room. I'm amazed. I think you could open your own shop.
Again, WOW, everything looks awesome. Great job!

JackieG said...

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that I can follow you thru email. I love getting my BLOGS this way.

lroghair/lparks said...

It's beautiful! It looks so organized and creatively inspiring!! Good job!! :)

TinaTx said...

Oh my gosh - it's awesome! Wanna come organize mine now?

Anonymous said...

Love the new wall color, Carolyn! Your sewing studio is a fabulous space!

Robin in Virginia

Heather said...

Of course I love your new wall color, aqua is such a beautiful thing :) Your sewing room is fantastic, you will be so organized to get your projects done, that is great!!

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

You are my organizing idol. LOL
I now get to do the same ORGANIZE my new craft room. (see blog for pics)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your studio! It looks so organized and professional. I'll bet you spend many happy hours in there! I'm jealous!

Catherine said...

What a great room!! Can I come play?

Judy Blinkenberg said...

What a wonderful room! I wish it was mine. So much storage and workroom. Congratulations!

Judy Blinkenberg said...

What a wonderful room! I wish it was mine. So much storage and workroom. Congratulations!

Julie Warner said...

I can't believe you have that so organized. Like someone else said, if I didn't know better I would think it was a fabric shop. How fun to work in creative projects surrounded by so much color.

Blu said...

Wow oh wow! Your craft room is amazing! I'm in complete awe.

Sharon said...

So, so pretty! It's just what I imagine heaven to look like! :)

~Niki~ said...

love the little prim dolly on the top shelf. lovely sewing space!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It's gorgeous!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow! Talk about a dream space! I wish I had a sewing room. My stuff is spread all over the place, and it gets lost all the time. Love that room of yours.

Terri said...

Wow, what a great room! Thanks for the peek!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Oh my stars..I adore your sewing studio! Its like a dream come true..everything looks so pretty and all the fabric you have to play with is amazing. I sew on my dinning room table, after I put the extension in my table goes to 8 ft.
Your studio should be in a magazine.
Have the sweetest of days..Big hugs, Elizabeth

Joanie's Quilts said...

I enjoyed taking a tour of your sewing/quilting studio. I love your new color and all I can say is you're one lucky gal to have the amount of space and storage for keeping everything organized. Gorgeous!

Suzan said...

Wonderful space and great storage ideas!

Sherry :o) said...

I think your room is beautiful, Carolyn. Don't sell yourself short! Nice and functional and what a talented hubby you have to build all those cabinets and tables and such.

Karla said...

What an awesome sewing studio you have there! Thanks so much for sharing all your wonderful organization and storage ideas.

WHERE in the world did you get your stacking drawer units? I'm having a terrible time finding them. I'd like to store my thread in them. Please let me know if possible.

Bev said...

Your sewing room is dreamy! Your stash is beautiful! Would you come and organize mine? lol

Thanks for sharing! Cheery wave from Bev

April Forshee said...

I am just now seeing this! Very good job! I, too, love the comic book boards! Also, you have made me feel like my fabric stash isn't out of control...thanks! :)

Bel said...

Admiring your studio......

Teresa said...

I LOVE YOUR SPACE! Your table is amazing! Mr. Fabric Therapy can build too - aren't we lucky?? I love the fabric wrapped on CB boards...it is just as I would have it if I didn't share my cave with bugs!! And the stacked, labeled drawers...I think we have the same label maker. This is truly beautiful room. Can I link to your blog when I finish with my little organization series?? People need to see your beautiful set-up!! How inspiring...it is so light and cozy!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)