Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oldies but goodies...

I just totally LOVE old, vintage linens and sewing items, etc.  Everytime I see anything like that, I have to pick them up.  Fortunately the ones that I'm about to show you all came from  my family....either my great-grandmother, grandmother, or my mother.  Some of the things I dont' even know what they are.  LOL  I was blessed to receive all the beautiful vintage lace, hankies, crochet, etc. that nobody else in the family wanted.  To me they are TOTAL treasure.  Every day I'm trying to find ways to display these beauties.  I hate seeing them packed away.  The one thing I don't have that I've looked everywhere for is a flower frog.  I really need/want a couple for my gingher scissor collection.  I'll keep my eyes open.  I'm always on the look out.


 I've also been busy making a few purses/totes for friends.  I guess I could share a few of those pictures so you'll know that I actually DO sew instead of constantly organizing, ALTHOUGH I am in the process of totally re-doing the studio AGAIN.  I'm trying to decide on a paint color.  I love the red, but I'm wanting a cooler color.  Any suggestions????




These are just a very few of the ones I've made for friends.  I have a few more to get done and then I'm going to make myself another one.  :)  I love making the purses and totes. 

Well, time for me to get busy, although I don't really know what's on the agenda for today.  Maybe some more organizing.  I'm really having fun doing this and finding things I didn't even know I had.  :)

Have a most wonderful Tuesday, and wherever you are, try to stay cool if you can.  We are about to die here in Texas.

Hugs and love,


16 comments:

Teresa said...

Love all your treasures. Your purses are beautiful.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Teresa said...

Love all your treasures. Your purses are beautiful.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

There is a scissor frog at one of my thrift stores, but, they won't sell it :( I love vintage things, too. I just collected more doilies last weekend.

Rita said...

Your purses are gorgeous, Carolyn!

I'm with you about the vintage doilies, etc., especially if they were made by a family member. I'm blessed to have one from DH's grandmother (whom I never got to meet), and several from my grandmother.

My grandma also quilted and I have a few quilts that she made. In fact, when we were recently visiting my parents in OH, Mom sent back another of Grandma's quilts, one that I've admired for a long time. She also showed me some she had from HER grandma and wanted to be sure I knew who each of those will go to someday.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I saw this purse made up recently and loved it...haven't seen the pattern yet though. I saw a whole cloth machine quilted wall quilt somewhere that had doilies hand appliqued on it so that the background color showed through. They had four or five small ones scattered sort of in a corner. It was lovely! Just another way to display them. :) blessings, marlene

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Hey there, Miss Carolyn! You've got some wonderful stitching treasures! I love all that stuff too (as you know)! I am now on the hunt for old pillow cases with tatted edges so I can take the trim off and use it in other ways.

Love your purses - especialy the red, but they're all fabulous.

We are crazy hot in Michigan, too (mid 90's) and our AC has been out since last week. AGH! A new unit is being installed today - not a minute too soon!

Stay cool and give me a shout when you can!

Deb said...

I do love your sttiching treasures - all the more special because they're from your family. I haunt vintage, thrift and antique stores for goodies. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not.

Love your totes. Those are one thing that I haven't tried to make.

And we're about to die here in Michigan. It's suppose to get hotter as the days go on. UGH. Stay cool.

Mouse said...

ooo love your treasures and I love to have old lace out on show too :) and your bags and purses are adorable .... and you can have some of our cooler weather.. I'm wearing a cardi and its our summer !!! love mouse xxx

TinaTx said...

What a wonderful group of treasures you have! My great-grandmother made who-knows-how-many doilies but I only have one. It is framed and hanging by my front door. I have a couple of vintage ones a friend sent me - love them.
Love the purses! You make them for friends, huh? :)
I'm kinda partial to pink sewing rooms myself.

Melody said...

What beautiful purses! You have such good color choices, and beautiful fabrics.

mdgtjulie said...

It's hot here in OH too, Carolyn. For cool colors, sky blue or mint green would work. Both of those are cool to me. Can't wait to see what you decide on. Lovely treasures that you have. I have a few things from my grandma, but they aren't sewing related. And your bags are wonderful! I wish I could make something half that cool!

rosek1870 said...

I too love all the old lace and I inherited all of my mom's and grandmother's. I use them all over the house. The only place I have found good flower frogs at a good price is on ebay. I also love your bags! Hope you are staying cool!

Sherry said...

Great purses! I carry big bags out of need because everyone is always giving me to tote around for them! I am a sewing collector too and love your wonderful treasures!

Siobhan said...

Nice job on the purses! Have a great weekend!

Bevstitches said...

Carolyn - love your purses-great job!! Try Apple Blossom by Benjamin Moore - I have my sunroom painted with this and I love it and get lots of compliments.

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

I love your purses! Gorgeous!